Tuesday, June 19, 2012

The Death Of Eggo

   

     Today is a day of mourning for me and I need to write my feelings down. Eggo was just a musk turtle that had hatched from an egg Pam found. He was so tiny and cute when I got him. I don't even remember exactly when, but it was several years ago.
      He was fun to watch as he wiggled around in the tank – he was a voracious eater and soon grew into a fat turtle. At the beginning he was shy and would wait until I tossed in the food and left before he would venture up to eat it. As time passed, the minute he saw me approaching he'd swim to the surface and gobble up the first bit of food I'd toss in.
      I loved to watch his antics as he push things around, and scramble through the tight spots. As much as you can love a turtle, I loved Eggo.
      As I headed out to the hairdressers this morning, the little bridge in the tank was knocked off the huge cup it rested on. I didn't think anything of it until I got back home and didn't see Eggo anywhere. I kept moving everything around and when I lifted the large cup, there was Eggo. I don't even understand how he got into the cup and didn't push it aside. Instead he suffocated and died. Right now I don't know what to do with him. I placed him on the righted bridge – my final tribute to him.
      I guess eventually I'll have to get rid of him, but for now, at least I can still see him and remember the small, but joyful moments his actions gave me pleasure.

No comments: