Tuesday, October 9, 2012

"Haunted" a winner in the Share Your St. Augustine Story Contest!





Congratulations to the Share Your St. Augustine Story Contest Winners 

"St. Augustine has its fair share of stories to tell. In fact, it has nearly 450 years worth of stories to tell. So, The St. Augustine Record and the St. Augustine 450th Commemoration decided to capture some of those stories to provide everyone with unique and interesting perspectives of our city. More than 170 entries were submitted in the contest. The top five entries in each category – photo, essay and video – were selected by a panel of judges and posted online for people to vote for their favorite St. Augustine story. More than 675 people participated in the voting process. The votes have been tallied, and here are the results, including a tie for the grand prize!"


To view the winners in all categories click on this link and scroll down to see the winning photos, videos, and essays. I am excited to share first place with Russell Thomas! Thanks to all who voted. Below is my essay. Audrey
                                                          


Grand Prize Winner – Essay

Haunted

By Audrey Frank

They say the town is haunted. Ghost tours let tourists mingle with the history of the oldest city. Do spirits still frequent the darkened streets? St. Augustine obsessed me since my first visit in 1947, when I honeymooned here as a new bride. It never left my soul. Widowed at sixty, I had my own ghosts to deal with. The memory of St. Augustine beckoned to me like an offshore siren. Dare I move to the city of my dreams? I packed my bags and began my life in a town that celebrates its past and looks toward the future. Twenty-four years later it still enchants me. The city has changed over the years, but my love of it will go with me to my grave. I won't be gone for good. My spirit will join the others and we'll watch the tourists look for ghosts.

1 comment:

Lynn and Ed said...

Congratulations Audrey! "Haunted" is a wonderful story.