Thursday, April 18, 2013

Angels Among Us


    

     With all the chaos going around in this world, I found my personal angel yesterday.
     Someone had driven by and ripped off my left outside rear mirror a few months ago. My neighbor had fixed it back then, but with the scorching heat we're having now, the tape melted away. The mirror was hanging by a thread. My neighbor was out of town. What to do?
     I headed to Home Depot and purchased some heavy duty glue and extra strength duck tape. My plans were to try and fix it right there in the parking lot. I couldn't open the glue, so back inside I went. A very young employee was standing just inside the door.
     “Could you please open this glue for me?”
     “Be happy to,” he replied. Then he looked at me.”You gonna use it right now?”
      I explained what had happened and he said he'd see if he could help me out. Off to the car we went.
      That young man, Scott, took over completely. He put on the glue, waited until he felt it was dry and then meticulously kept adding duck tape until he was satisfied that the mirror was going to hold. We were out there for over a half hour. Another person might have just given him a few dollars and driven off. I felt Scott deserved more than that.
     “Can you take me to your manager? I want to tell him how helpful you were.”
     Scott grinned. “Yes, mam!”
     As I told the manager about the incident, he started to smile and Scott was turning red.
“If the world were filled with more young people like Scott, it would be a better place to
live” I ended.
     The manager shook my hand and said “Most people just come to me with complaints, never praise. Thank you for taking the time to tell me about Scott.”
     Before I walked away, I reached up and hugged Scott. “Just want you to know you made my day.”
     I've been telling my friends to ask for Scott when they go to Home Depot. One day I want to see him as manager of the store.

No comments: