Saturday, December 6, 2014

River House Christmas Extravaganza December 4


 
Ready for the adventure!
 
 
Unfortunately, the Christmas Extravaganza at River House didn't draw as many people as we had hoped. There I was, pen in hand, with a table full of books I was hoping would sell. They didn't, but the folks who did buy were a joy to meet. Frankly, I had a great time just mingling with the shoppers and vendors.  

Doris Oxford was on hand as usual. You can't hold us old-timers down. We wiggled to some fantastic music and will keep doing these shows as long as we have the stamina. Why? Because just getting to know the vendors and hoping for sales, keeps us alive and happy. 
 
 
 
Doris
 

Jean Willis and I go way back to when we had stores on Aviles Street. Jean had an art gallery, and I pioneered art rubber stamping. Jean's artistry is well known. When she retired, she joined our writer's group and a  friendship was renewed. 
 
 
Jean
 

Howard and Peter were there displaying the Council On Aging's anthology of memoirs written by the members of the writer's group. Peter heads up the group and has taught us how to tighten our stories so they are fun to read. Howard worked above and beyond the call of duty in assembling the book.  
 
 
 
Howard (holding book) and Peter
 

To my amazement, my best friend Claire Bishop showed up to give us her support. Weary from a hard day's work, I couldn't get her to smile, but I loved the fact that she cared enough to come. She owns Claire'sCollectibles, the best rubber stamp store on the east coast. (Link to her shop and see what I'm talking about!)
 
 
Claire
 

Two more friends, Tony and Jean, showed up to add their support. What would we do without good friends who love us? 
 
 
 
Jean and Tony
 

Believe it or not, I got to hug Santa Clause!  
 
 
 
Tried to convince Santa I've been good all year.
 

I'm embarrassed to admit that the young woman who helped me the most, Teri Lee, I forgot to take  her picture. Without her lugging my books around, handing out business cards and even making some sales, I couldn't have made it through the day. I'm still gimping from a broken foot that hasn't healed completely. But my spirits are high. 

So another River House extravaganza has come and gone. I'm already thinking about the show to come  in July 2015. The eternal optimist, surely that show will be the best yet.
 

 
There's a lot of writing in all those books. You see what I've been up to.
 

1 comment:

Lynn and Ed said...

Great pictures - you look so happy!