Sunday, October 5, 2014

My Nighttime Visitor


     It had been a hectic day and I was finally relaxing having my favorite rum and Coke drink before heading to bed. Whose eyes were watching me? I looked down to see a small lizard perched on the edge of my end table. He cocked his head and eyed me before climbing forward. He stopped, again his tiny eyes deciding if it was safe to move further.

     “Hello,” I said.

     Let's face it, when you sit alone every night, any kind of company is acceptable. Although tiny, the lizard didn't seem afraid of me. We eyed each other. What would happen next?

      A sudden explosive leap and he was swimming in my drink. I reached over and plucked him out of the rum. Couldn't have a tipsy creature running amok in my television room. Instead of trying to run away, I swear I heard him hiccup.

     I carefully carried him into the bathroom and washed him off.  Now what? I gently placed him on the floor. Hopefully, I could release him tomorrow.

     I finished my drink. How much could a dunked lizard contaminate it?

     My sleep was restless. I kept dreaming of lizards climbing over my bed. I awoke early the next morning to check on my friend. A pang of guilt engulfed me. He hadn't moved. I gently picked up his limp body, petted him, then flushed him down the toilet.

     The moral to this story? Well, there really isn't any. Just chase an inquisitive lizard away.

1 comment:

Lynn and Ed said...

That was an entertaining story!