Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Music In My Life


 
  
 
I'm not sure why, but I thought a lot about my husband today. Probably because I'm cooped up alone with a broken foot. I was remembering how much music meant to my life. Music touched my heart every time I felt emotion. If nothing else, I was a romantic.
           On the first real date I had with my future husband, I should have realized that I was not dating a romantic. We went to a small restaurant in New York City where they had dancing. At one point, as we were dancing, I started to softly sing into his ear, “I've got you under my skin.”
He pushed me slightly back, looked down on me and asked, “You got Cooties?”
Right then and there I should have realized ours would be a marriage of fidelity and unspoken words of romance. He was a marvelously unromantic husband.
For our thirtieth anniversary, I wanted to tell him what those years meant to me. Kenny Rogers had just put out a new cassette. I played it until I came to the song “Through The Years.” I put it secretly in his car cassette. It would be the first song he'd hear on his way to work. I couldn't wait for him to listen to the words. He would know how much I loved him.
That evening when he got home I asked him what he thought of the song.
His answer? “That guy's got a really good voice.” No mention of the particular song I had chosen. What do you do with a guy like that? You love him and know he loves you even if he never says so. 
 

        

No comments: