Friday, June 15, 2012

The Day I Almost Killed The Rat



Charlie


     I’d been meaning to clean out Charlie’s tank for a week, but never quite got up the energy. Today was the day. I scooped out all the pine bark and threw it in the garbage.

     Then it hit me. I didn’t have any pine bark left. Well, let’s try cat litter. Bad choice. Within minutes I knew something was wrong with Charlie. His sides were heaving in and out as though he couldn’t breathe. I panicked and called the pet shop telling them what I had done. 
  
     The voice at the other end said, “There are chemicals in cat litter that can harm a rodent. You need to get some pine bark shavings.”

    Like a flash I was in the car driving to the pet shop. When I got home at least Charlie was still breathing, so I put him on the couch and cleaned his tank for the second time, being sure to get out every bit of cat litter.

     I had forgotten that Katie, my cat, was lurking nearby. In a flash she was on the couch sniffing Charlie. Oh boy, I thought, if the chemical hadn’t killed him she will. To my amazement, she gently put her paw on his tail but didn’t attack. She was fascinated with him. I decided not to take any more chances. I scooped him up and placed him back in the tank. Katie cocked her head, looking bewildered.

     Today he is his old fat self, happy to eat the cookie I give him. He’s just a pet, but he’s mine and I love him.
         

2 comments:

pam said...

Good ole Charlie

Anonymous said...

He became a fat old rat, but he was fun. Barb did a good job of linking everything together.